Environmental Scan of Educational Technology at Medina ISD in Medina, Texas 

            Medina ISD is located in Medina, Texas. This is in the Texas Hill Country northwest of San Antonio. Although it is listed as having a humid subtropical climate, Medina is noticeably less humid than nearby San Antonio. The area has a substantial history of drought, with occasional torrential rainfall that causes flooding. The town of Medina is unincorporated. This is a rural area with a small population. The population is in the hundreds, probably close to 500. This is a ranching community with a variety of livestock including cattle, goats, and sheep. Residents who do not participate in ranching commute to other nearby towns and cities to work: Bandera, Kerrville, Comfort, San Antonio and its nearby communities. Most of the people of the community are English speakers, with a minority of Spanish speakers.

The school district is very small. It is listed as 1A by UIL, and its football team competes in the 6-man division. Most of the children of Medina attend Medina ISD, but there are a few students who are home-schooled. There are no magnet schools in the community. The Texas Education Agency recently scored Medina ISD a “C” in all three measured domains: Student Achievement (78 of 100), School Progress (76 of 100), and Closing the Gaps (72 of 100).     

On Monday, 8/21/23, I began an assignment to take an environmental survey of educational technology at Medina ISD. First, I tried to access the STaR Chart results that had been taken at Medina ISD in previous years. I was unsuccessful at getting that information through either email or phone call to the TEA office. I also emailed the school superintendent and asked for the results of their most recent STaR Chart. I never got any response to that either.

On 8/22, I decided to create my own survey to send to teachers at Medina ISD. After researching various options, I decided to go with Jotform.com. At Jotform.com I created the survey and ran a test using my own email address to see how it worked. That stage of the process went fine. I had never used Jotform.com before, so I was happy with the results. It was a time-consuming process typing the survey questions, but I think overall it went well.  

On 8/23, I emailed the Medina ISD superintendent, Mrs. Lindsey Kunz, to ask for permission to conduct this survey. She emailed me back on the morning of Thursday the 24th with permission to conduct the survey. Next, I contacted the two district principals (elementary and secondary) and their secretaries to give them all a heads-up so they would know what was in the works, in case any of their teachers came to them with questions about the survey.

On 8/24, I went to the school website and began the process of entering teacher email addresses into the Jotform.com webpage to send out the survey. This took a long time, but I couldn’t think of a more efficient way to do it. After entering 10 addresses, Jotform.com informed me that I would have to upgrade my account to add more addresses. The cheapest rate would be over $350/year. I’m not going to do that, so I’m back to square one.

I decided to use Google Forms to create my survey. It went well, and on 8/25, I was able to email the survey to all the district teachers and the district librarian. I told everyone that it was a “voluntary” survey. I remember when I was a classroom teacher. The last thing I ever wanted was to have someone assume that I had the time to fill out surveys for people. I got enough of that from my administration. Anyway, after reassuring everyone that it was a voluntary survey, I asked that, if they chose to do it, to try to have it back to me by September 1. That would give everyone a week to get it done and returned to me.

On Friday, September 1, I checked the incoming results of my survey.  I was somewhat disappointed by the percentage of respondents. As of 9/1/23, a week after I had emailed out the survey, I only had 11 respondents. I decided to wait until after the Labor Day holiday to see if anyone else had responded. Nada. So, on 9/5, out of the 28 classroom teachers that Medina ISD employs, I was only able to get 11 respondents, less than 40% of the potential respondents.   

Technology Availability Pros (out of 11 respondents)

1.     Medina ISD is a 1-to-1 Chromebook school. Every student has been issued a Chromebook to use at school and to take home for homework. So, every student has access to a Chromebook 24/7. (100%)

2.     Nine teachers had access to a computer lab (81.8 %)

3.     Eight teachers had access to an LCD projector. (72.7%)

4.     Seven teachers had Elmo Projectors (63.6%)

Technology Availability Cons (out of 11 respondents)

1.     Only four teachers had access to an interactive whiteboard. (36.4%)

2.     Only two teachers had tablets or e-readers available for their students. (18.2%)  

3.     None of the teachers had digital cameras available in their classrooms. (0%)

Teachers had students use digital devices to perform the following educational tasks.

1.     Taking assignments online – nine teachers (81.8%)

2.     Watching videos from outside sources for educational purposes – seven teachers (63.6%)

3.     Accessing information through a school portal – six teachers (54.5%)

4.     Creating Presentations – six teachers (54.5%)

5.     Using Online Textbooks – five teachers (45.5%)

Teachers used the following apps to enhance classroom instruction.

1.     Google Apps – eight teachers (88.9%)

2.     Kahoot – six teachers (66.7%)

3.     Prodigy – five teachers (55.6%)

4.     Canva – three teachers (33.3%)

5.     Quizlet – two teachers (22.2%)

6.     Microsoft Apps – one teacher (11.1%)

7.     Class Dojo – one teacher (11.1%)

8.     Remind – one teacher (11.1%)

9.     The following apps were not used by any of the Medina ISD teacher respondents:

a.      ChatGPT

b.     Duolingo

c.      Seesaw

Websites that the teachers surveyed use to find teaching resources (out of 11 respondents)

1.     Teachers Pay Teachers – ten teachers (90.9%)

2.     YouTube – nine teachers (81.8%)

3.     Pinterest – six teachers (54.5%)

4.     BrainPOP – five teachers (45.5%)

5.     Khan Academy - five teachers (45.5%)

6.     Discovery Education – four teachers (36.4%)

7.     Edutopia – two teachers (18.2%)

8.     Starfall - two teachers (18.2%)

9.     Newsela – one teacher (9.1 %)

10.  Smart Exchange – one teacher (9.1 %)

11.  The following resources had no teachers using them:

a.      Flocabulary

b.     Membeam

c.      Noredink

d.     Cicero

e.      PE Central

f.      Spark

g.     Option 15

Teachers used the following social media sites for assistance with curriculum development and/or for classroom instructional purposes:

1.     Facebook / Meta – seven teachers (63.6%)

2.     Pinterest – five teachers (45.5%)

3.     Twitter / X – two teachers (18.2%)

4.     Instagram – two teachers (18.2%)

5.     WhatsApp – one teacher (9.1%)

6.     TikTok – one teacher (9.1%)

7.     Medina ISD teacher respondents did not use any of the following social media for educational purposes:

a.      Truth Social

b.     Parler

c.      Tumblr

d.     Snapchat

Regarding technology-related professional development, only 50% of the respondents said that they had received any technology-related professional development. Furthermore, 80% of the respondents said that they felt that they could benefit from additional technology-related professional development. One respondent said that they would like to learn how to upload tests into Google Classroom, have students submit their answers, and then retrieve the graded work from Google Classroom.  

References

Texas Education Agency. (2018, June 29). School Technology and Readiness Chart. Texas Education Agency. https://tea.texas.gov/academics/learning-support-and-programs/technology-resources/school-technology-and-readiness-chart  

Medina, Texas Koppen climate classification (Weatherbase). Weatherbase. (n.d.). https://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather-summary.php3?s=70937&cityname=Medina%2C%2BTexas%2C%2BUnited%2BStates%2Bof%2BAmerica&units=

Comments

  1. Hello!
    I love that you did your own survey of staff members in the school district to find the information you needed to gather! It's always interesting to see how other teachers and districts manage technology in and out of the classroom, particularly with regards to the Covid experience.

    I hadn't thought to ask about technology-related PD. My site provides technology-related PD frequently, but unfortunately it isn't always directly relevant in a way that we use it on our campus. I find it surprising that only 50% have received tech training, especially with all of the highly beneficial technology programs available in the world today!

    I hope we get the opportunity to provide some of that training and/or receive that training so that we can benefit our students who are living in a global society.

    Thank you so much for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Your hands-on process for gathering information made me smile. I work for a small district (five elementary schools), so I appreciated your effort to contact the superintendent and principals directly. Receiving a timely, and positive response is a small district luxury! I have not used Jotform, but I am familiar with Google Forms. Even with the best of intentions, you are at the mercy of the recipients to respond. Thank you for sharing your data, it was an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so interesting! I can see how this type of data gathering would be an amazing way to keep on top of teacher needs. Thanks for sharing this! You also have access to Qualtrics survey software while you are a student at Sam. That's a great tool as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gilbert! I love how you created your own survey to find out what teachers are really using! It was really fascinating to see your results. I’d love to do something like that in my own district. One thing I like about Google forms is how you can see the results in a pie chart format after. That could be a great way to share that data in an infographic too! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog